Its been almost a month since Java.net and weblogs were started @ java.net. Its was a descent start but im afraid that SUN’s starting to start back on it laurels of launching such a service! This aint the time! Although java.net has a impressive set of bloggers, its has not taken an off as it should have. It seems as though many of the bloggers are blogging for the sake of doing it. The topics have been pretty mediocre and it seems to be as though it there is lack of passion. The sad part is even though repeated calls we made for interoperability between Javablog.com and Java.net’s weblogs nothing has been done about it. Meanwhile artima is doing a wonderful job of creating Technology Buzz RSS feeds which is similar to JavaBlogs but it across technologies. Fortunately for SUN, the tools for the blogsphere have started to mature (feedster, techborati, etc); its sad to see SUN not take advantage of these tools. Just take one look @ http://weblogs.java.net/ and you will release who behind they are. They are inventing the wheel all over again (ok they have used Oreilly’s blogging technolgy, im not too impressed with it). Whatever happened to reuse? If I were @ SUN managing this, this is what I would be doing:
- Use Java.net’s weblog are parent/umberalla for all Java technology blogs.
- Use the exisiting blog feeds from Javablogs.com and artima’s Technology Buzz RSS feeds
- Provide specific RSS feeds to various java technologies.
- Start JCP community blog (Yeah I would love to see a blog track JCP for me and get the JCP participants to write to that something similar to Mobitopia)
- Start Java Open Souce community blog (that just talks about opensource java projects out there)
- Start Java Products blog (Similar to industry.java.sun.com)
- Continue the good job of getting star power to blog on java.net
- Integrated feedster search with weblogs.java.net (FYI they use JIVE forums in java forums, so I dont see why they cant do the same for their search. I have always hated their search engine. Now under the http://weblogs.java.net/ if I search for a term I expect the search to happen under weblogs not their whole site!! duh!)
- Improve content and get folks to address Java/.NET technologies.
- Reuse existing blog technologies rather than reinventing the wheel all over again. Its time for SUN to realise and use the enthusiastic following which is willing to go out of the way and help!
Why am I being critical? Cuz I care and I think SUN has the capacity to do a better job, just needs to be spanked from time to time!