We were having the discussion @ work about the origin of potatoes. Here are the facts
- Invented in the andean mountains of south america
- Freeze dried potatoes were called chuño.
- Developed at an elevation of 10,000 feet
- Process of developing took 14 days but could be stored for a period of 4 years!
- There was even a potato god
- Not until 1719, when Irish immigrants brought the potato to Londonderry, New Hampshire, were potatoes grown on a large scale.
- Washington State is known as “Potato Country U.S.A.” .. I would have thought Idaho.
- Further reading here