- Memorial Day was originally known as Decoration Day
- It was first widely observed on May 30,1868
- Several Northern and Southern cities claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day
- In 1966, the federal government, under the direction of President Lyndon Johnson, declared Waterloo, New York, the official birthplace of Memorial Day.
- In 1971, Congress declared Memorial Day a national holiday to be celebrated the last Monday in May.
- Today, Memorial Day is celebrated at Arlington National Cemetery with a ceremony in which a small American flag is placed on each grave.
- Several Southern states continue to set aside a special day for honoring the Confederate dead, which is usually called Confederate Memorial Day.
- For more info go here
Funny, I have been here for a couple of years and I dont know how to wish someone for memorial day. Does one say “happy memorial day”?
Never thought about it!